We’re bombarded with advertising for products promising to make us look younger and more vibrant than ever. This makes it difficult to pick the right one for our unique needs. It can get confusing, and today we’re going to tackle a common question:
What are LED face masks?
They seem too good to be true. Just put on the mask, turn it on and let it do its magic. What exactly is going on behind the mask that produces the youth-inducing results we’re all seeking? There’s a lot more going on than what meets the eye!
How LED Face Masks Work
Let’s start by getting an understanding of what happens when you turn the mask on. Light Emitting Diode (LED) masks utilize a variety of wavelengths of light to treat numerous skin issues. The power lies in the many types of light being used simultaneously. Just a few examples of the versatility produced through this multifaceted approach include:
- Blue light is known to eradicate acne at its bacterial roots.
- Red light is effective at improving blood circulation and keeping inflammation at bay.
- Amber light can help improve the skin’s elasticity and promote the production of collagen.
We don’t think much about light, but consider how much it affects our daily lives. When you stay in the sun too long, you can get burned. Its rays also work at the cellular level in keeping plants alive through photosynthesis. The energy transfer is critical in glucose production.
While we don’t think much about it, light is energy, and energy can change from one form to another. In respect to LED face masks, the intended transfer is light energy to targeted improvements in the appearance of the skin. Just a few other exciting benefits include:
- Improvement in sun damage
- Reduction of the appearance of psoriasis, rosacea and eczema
- Management of oil production
- An excellent alternative for those who cannot take acne medications
- Protection against certain infections
Office Visit No Longer Required
Things have changed since LED face masks first made their debut in the early 2010’s. While this increasingly popular skin treatment method used to require an in-office procedure by a dermatologist, they’re now available for at-home use to save time and money. Of course, you can still receive treatments in the office, but there are some pros and cons to consider:
- Doctors often have access to more chemicals like serums and photosensitizers to target more specific results.
- Doctor’s can customize for very direct needs.
- Requires multiple trips to the dermatologist’s office.
- Can cost anywhere between $150 to $300.
- Is often excessive for people with average needs.
Three Most Popular LED Face Mask Modes
While LED face masks can be used to improve a number of skin issues, there are three modes that are particularly popular due to the highly effective results this method provides:
- Using red light, LED face masks promote new skin growth. This can go a long way in reducing fine lines and wrinkles as well as reducing the appearance and development of age spots.
- Using blue light, mild to moderate acne is targeted by killing the bacteria that causes it.
- Whether you’ve just undergone a dermatological procedure or have sustained facial wounds or even a sunburn, the application of LED light can be an effective way to speed healing.
How It Works: LED Face Mask Application
What is the technology that makes LED Face Masks work? If so, you’re probably wondering how much time it’ll take out of your day. Since you can use them at home, it’s easier than ever. Here’s how it works:
- Two to three times per week, put on the mask, and use it for 20-30 minutes. Don’t worry! Even though it might look a little intimidating, they are heat-free and void of dangerous ultraviolet radiation. You shouldn’t experience any discomfort.
- If desired, use it in conjunction with products like nourishing serums. You may want to speak with your dermatologist to explore options best suited for your needs.
- Enjoy immediate results.
While you should notice a difference in your appearance after the first use, it can take several weeks of regular application to enjoy the full potential of this skin care method. Results can last as long as six months.